Sunday, July 8

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday then...

So it's been kind of crazy. I wish I had some more time before I leave for Kazakhstan, but you know, I've still got 4 days. Today was church, and it was more than encouraging. Several people spoke to me and told me they were praying for me and the team, and in Impact I got to share some prayer requests and let the group know a little bit more about what our ministry will look like there.

We watched a movie in Impact today on Matthew 16. Interesting interpretation I'd never thought of nor heard before. The speaker focused on v. 18b, "and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it [the church]." He lectured on the history, geography, and religion of Casarea Philippi (where Jesus spoke these words) and showed how the context of the area sheds some light on the passage (the city was known for extreme pagan worship, idolatry, fertility goddess worship, and literally a place called "gates of hades"). Normally when we interpret "gates of hell" we assume that whatever Satan might throw at the church it cannot ultimately succeed, but he thinks that since typically a gate is a defensive weapon really the passage is saying that the gates of hell (Satan, hell, sin) will not prevail (last, continue) ultimately. The church will win! The church, instead of playing offensive and deflecting hell, will actually destroy the gates of hell offensively.

Jon gave an amzing sermon today, probably one of the best I've heard him give. On Luke 9.37-45. I thought how relevant it was for many who are going to camp, came home from camp, are going on a missions trip, are attending/serving at a VBS... He talked about what it meant to have a "mountain top" experience, living in reality, and that Christ is trustworthy. 1) That you can't live on the mountain top. This took me so long to try and understand. Kazakhstan made such a massive difference in my life last year and I wanted only to return to Kazakhstan immediately and live like I had while I was there. I didn't understand that having the experience I had in Kazakhstan last year can't be duplicated every day, every hour of your life. The disciples had to come off the mountain top, so must we. I like what Jon said, "Mountain tops have a purpose, but you're not meant to live there." Kazakhstan can easily be a mountain top, and knowing that going into it I think will help some. I pray that I can learn more this year, and not just try and recreate the past. That mountain top served its purpose, and if I experience another one I should be thankful but not just strive to recreate it or just miss it. I am to use/learn/teach whatever God shows me there, and not just strive so hard to simply recreate a moment in the past. 2) That you can't control your world. The disciples tried to bring heaven ("mountain top experience") with them to the valley, and couldn't. They had to hit reality. The disciples hit tragedy on the way back down... they came across a demon possessed boy. They tried to drive the demon out, but coudn't. Only Jesus could. Jon reminded us that we all have situations that we can't handle. This is great in relation to Kazakhstan... there will be so many situations there where I know if I don't look to Jesus for controlling the situation I will fail. There's so many times a day that you realize you cant do a thing without His help and control. It happens here in the US, I know that, but you come across helpless situations so much more it seems. I hope that I can get to depend on Christ more and see how helpless I really am. No one saves, only God can. 3) Jesus is trustworthy. Amen! What more can I say? He is trustworthy when we depend on Him. We've got to just turn and trust him, have faith. Doesn't mean it will be easy, or fun, or great, but God's got a plan in everything. It might seem like the situation is terrible, but God can accomplish anything. Jon said "Faith accomplishes nothing, only God does." That's beautiful. We can't do anything! God does all the work in salvation, and in so many areas of our lives. It's so hard to be humble and realize that God's in control, He's the sovereign one. I've already quoted Mark 10 here, so I will quote Isaiah 40.27-31. "The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."

I saw this verse come alive last year in Kazakhstan. God is trustworthy! There were so many times I thought I should've been passed out from exhaustion on the ground, but I was running around like a maniac teaching English or doing something for the VBS. When I looked to God, our everlasting God, he provided strength. So awesome to see verses "come alive" if you will.

Slava Bogu! Praise God!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool Matt, I'm excited to hear about your trip as it happens. I'm sure God will use your team to change the lives of others for him. I'll be praying for you guys.

stephen

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could have summed that sermon up any better myself. What an awesome focus to have as we head out. . .

Unknown said...

Thanks for letting us know where your blog is this year. We'll be praying for you all every day while you're gone.

Anonymous said...

Gosh Matt...you sure have a way with words. I'm impressed. I also though Jon's sermon was great. Been there/done that myself. Up and down the Mt, so to speak. (p.s. - "singing in the rain" is also one of my favorites!)
Mrs. Berry